Tuesday, July 6, 2010

BIG Cupcake

  • My birthday was on the 21st of June. 
  • With my husband having a solo art show, we just got around to celebrating my birthday last night. This is totally fine by me. Things were pretty hectic at home with having company and of course I made a lot of food for his show. My husband was BUSY!!!!!!!!
  • I called my mom and asked her if I could make my own cake for my party? She said, "Yes." 
  • I got a Wilton big cupcake pan last year from my mom, and haven't had a chance to use it. I really wanted to. You've probably seen these before. This is my first version. 
  • The top of the big cupcake is yellow cake and the bottom is chocolate. 
  • I used the left over cake batter to make little cupcakes to fit around the big cupcake.
  • So I used not quite 2 boxes of cake mix. I did not make my cupcakes from scratch this time.
  • I used flour spray in the pan. 
  • The base of the big cupcake was cooked for 12 minutes since it was more dense. Then I took it out of the oven, sprayed the top side, poured the batter in and cooked it for the rest of the time.
  • I'm glad I did it this way because I know they wouldn't of gotten done at the same time.
The top view looked a lot like a flower.
  • The hardest part was cutting it.
  • It was fun that everyone got two kinds of cake, and we could separate them if someone didn't like one flavor. There was frosting sandwiched between the top and bottom of the big cupcake.
  • My kids LOVE cake. My two year old saw the box before it was made and kept say, "Cake Mommy, cake!"  He wanted some cake before it was even made.
  • My four year old got worked up when I was decorating the cake. I had it all decorated, put it in the kitchen, and he saw an empty plate. He said, "Mommy where's the cake?" I said, "Mica I ate it all. I was hungry." He said with sad puppy dog eyes, "Mommy you're not supposed to eat the cake! That's for everyone at the party!" He's a smart boy! I came clean when I saw that he was sad.   

1 comment:

cocoa and coconut said...

OH MY GOD. WELL DONE USING YOUR TIN! IT LOOKS FREAKIN' AMAZING.

Haha, sorry! But I'm so excited for you :) The icing and colour combination looks fantastic and the cupcakes around it highlight the huge size of the wilton tin!